Certificados Representativos de Bonos del Tesoro (CERTIBONOS)
is a type of government paper representing Guatemalan treasury certificates, which are an investment instrument issued by the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Guatemala
(Ministerio de Finanzas Públicas de República de Guatemala) and placed by the Bank of Guatemala
(Banco de Guatemala - Central Bank of Guatemala).
It is believed that this type of government securities represents the lowest investment risk in the country.
This type of government paper has the following features
1. The par value of such securities may be 10,000/100,000/1,000,000/10,000,000 GTQ.
2. These bonds are referred to as "coupon bonds". The coupon is paid 2 or 4 times a year. The face value is paid on the maturity date.
3. These securities are issued for a period of 3 to 20 years.
4. CERTIBONOS are presented in both documentary and non-documentary form.
5. This type of securities is placed through public auctions on the National Stock Exchange (BNV) or through private auctions.
Examples of such papers: Guatemala, CERTIBONOS 5.375% 21jul2032, GTQ
, Guatemala, CERTIBONOS 5.875% 22sep2037, GTQ